By: Khurram Rasool

Srinagar: While the social networking sites became immensely popular during the 2008 and 2010 agitations as it gave the youngsters a safer option to vent their feelings, same is once again the talk of the town. But, for a slightly different reason.
A recent blog regarding different local Kashmiri girls has seen been doing the rounds on the internet these days. The said blog under the name "Cute Kashmiri Girls" with myriad of personal pictures of local girls mostly nicked from Facebook is said to be a huge hit on the famous blogging website, Blogspot.com.
Farhana (name changed), an ardent Facebook user in her early twenty’s has a habit of uploading her personal and family pictures on her FB profile wall. Not knowing about the ramifications of this harmless gesture, Farhana’s pictures have been posted on the said blog without her knowledge.
“I am shocked to see all my individual and group photographs on this blog. I fail to understand how can anybody copy my photographs with all the tight privacy settings on Facebook”, Farhana told Kashmir Monitor. Moreover, Farhana is not the lone victim of this cyber crime.
Like Farhana, the pictures of many other Kashmiri girls are being posted on the blog with indecent captions and tags.
The popularity of Facebook in the valley has given rise to many cyber crimes. A number of Facebook users especially females have been complaining of their fake Facebook profiles. Mariya (name changed) said, “Somebody has created my fake profile with all my information and my display picture giving the idea to the people that it is real me”.
The blog is said to be the work of some tech-savvy person, who has mastered this mischief.
Though the state government had planned to set up a cyber police to take care of the online crime but the establishment of the cyber police station is nowhere in sight.” I would like to complain about this act as my pictures are being posted without my permission but I don’t know where to go”, says Mariya.

Post a Comment

Refrain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks, name calling or inciting hatred against any community. Let's work together to keep the conversation civil.

Sponsored

Powered by Blogger.