By: Khalid Gul
Pampore: A 17-year old youth injured in 2010 agitation succumbed to his injuries in Kadalbal locality of this town yesterday morning. A large number of people participated in the funeral of the deceased while shops and business establishments remained closed in protest.
Reports said Muzaffar Ahmad Mir son of Ghulam Ahmad Mir of Kadalbal Pampore was injured on Sep 13, 2010, when government forces opened fire on protestors in Kadalbal Chowk of the saffron town. Three youth including Nisar Ahmad Wagay and Javaid Ahmad Bhat had died in the firing.
Talking to Greater Kashmir, uncle of the deceased, Abdul Qayoom, said his nephew had received a bullet in his chest which pierced through the body and damaged his spinal chord. Qayoom said that Muzaffar remained admitted in SKIMS for many months during which he was operated upon twice.
Muzzafar Ahmad had suffered a serious injury in his spinal cord and was partially paralyzed after the injury.
His condition deteriorated during past few days, the family said.
“I was desperate to take my son to New Delhi for treatment but could not afford that. I sold my land and was now contemplating to even sell my house but then the thought of my three daughters of marriageable age stopped me from doing so,” said Ghulam Ahmad Mir who owns a provisional store, adding that they did not get assistance from any quarter.
As per the family they have not received any compensation from the government for medication. “I went from pillar to post, from the Hurriyat leaders to the government offices for help. I would have preferred not to ask for money from anyone but the life of my son was at stake and no father wants to shoulder the coffin of his son. But now the reality is that today I had to do that,” Mir lamented as he broke down.
He alleges that the government had issued some compensation in favor of Muzaffar, however, same was not granted after the concerned police station “created hurdles.” “Tehsildar made a case for relief and sent it to the local police station for verification. When I went there the policemen stationed there told me that there are eight cases against my son and police has to arrest him first. I asked them to come and arrest my son who is shouldered by four persons even to move him here and there,” the wailing father rued.
With Muzzafar’s death, the number of people killed during the unrest last year has reached 124.
Muzaffar was laid to rest at his ancestral graveyard and people in large numbers participated in his funeral prayers. The mourners included Democratic Freedom Party leader Shabir Ahmad Shah and chairman JKLF Muhammad Yaseen Malik.

Post a Comment

Refrain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks, name calling or inciting hatred against any community. Let's work together to keep the conversation civil.

Sponsored

Powered by Blogger.